Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Splish, Splash..

We have had a wet couple of days. Went with our home ed group to a local pool yesterday and sam had a blast. I had to drag him out of the water after almost 2 hours. I was freezing and bored but he was happy as larry to stay in. He really loves the water-even at home, he would stay in the shower all day if I let him. Today was his swimming lesson and miracles of miracles he actually listened to his teacher!! The past couple of weeks he has had lots of fun at his lesson but hasn't paid attention to a single word his teacher said. Today he listened to john and did his best to join in. He was very proud of himself and even suggested that as a treat he should have a happy meal for dinner!! Needless to say this was met with a no.

Learning wise we have had a good couple of days. Inspired by fran & maddie sam got out his geomags and embarked on making a pyramid to rival theirs. We also played with the pattern blocks, did our normals, made cuneiform tablets, orgnised diwali cards for home group on friday and had long conversations about god, religion, sumerians and paper making. Talk about a varied day. His question about god stunned me-he asked if god was made up. I did my best to explain the various points of view on the subject and we talked about the reasons why a society would invent god. He decided that he like the greek gods the best as they seemed to have the most fun. I never expect to have this type of conversation with my 4 year old. Next he is going to start asking how babies are made!!! I am a complete coward when it comes to this subject ( I blame too many years of catholic school-apologies to any fellow catholics out there) and am going to let M handle this one. After all, he is a medical professional!

We are settling into our routine now and sam seems to be enjoying the rythmn of our day. He really likes doing sums on the blackboard and writing words on index cards. He even wrote a letter to his great grandmother today all by himself.

As part of our exercise today I attempted to kill myself by jogging with the baby jogger. I should have realised that pushing a 40lb child in addition to trying to run would kill me before I even got round the corner. Oh well, it has to get easier doesn't it?

No comments: