Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I guess we are official now!

All of sam's friends bar one have now started reception. It seems impossible that these boys that I have known since before they were born are now old enough to go to school. As sam has obviously not gone I think we must be able to say that we are now officially homeschooling. It feels good but a little daunting. I am just waiting for a call from the LEA asking if he is WASP (without a school place). I now have all of my sonlight stuff organised and have read through all of the IGs and have a good idea of what we are doing. I have also made a list of all the things I still need and the various projects we have planned for the first couple of weeks. I do like making lists, they are so reassuring, now all I have to do is actually do the things on the lists! I have decided to start the week with science as that is by far sam's favorite subject.

Today we ended up meeting Merry at Flag Fen, and though we weren't there long I think that sam enjoyed it. He was very disapointed that he couldn't do any excavating but cheered up when he saw all the dragonflies that were zooming about. It was nice being with Merry & the girls, they are so interested in history, especially Fran. She kept quizing me about my past life as an archaeologist and I tried to think of all the exciting bits to pass on. It is a fantastic subject and I am glad that I studied it. Sometimese in my madder moments I think about going back and doing another aspect of archaeology-like egyptology or colonial american archaeology or even palentology. Mabye when we have settled into a rythmn I will look at doing an OU course.

We also saw R and her children today. She very kindly watched Sam while I did a couple of mystery jobs in town. It was a luxury being in town on my own and I took the chance to have a quick look in some of the shops. Saw lots of lovely clothes that I wanted but can't justify buying. Consoled myself by getting some pretty undergarments.

Sam wanted to doing some painting this evening so we got out the oils and the canvas pad. He did a great painting of an underground carriage-I will post a pic once I have downloaded it. He put a lot of thought into the pic and even went to find is model carriage to copy from. Perhaps he has inherited some of my mother's artistic talent because goodness knows I haven't got any!!

1 comment:

sam said...

Which history course are you doing-is it lots of work? As far as the bugs go I have to say that I never saw any when excavating-the odd worm or two but never bugs!

Merry-what type of course would you want to do. I will have a look and see what is on offer. I don't know much about OU-can you enroll all year round? Are the courses expensive?