Tuesday, September 02, 2008

TV addict-but it is not who you think!

Now that we are fully paid up members of the tv brigade again you would that thought that a certain young man would be glued to the set 24/7 but strangely he isn't too bothered about watching it. He certainly has not asked to turn it on and we have not had to down tools at any point to make sure that we don't miss a particular programme. The family member that would be glued to the set is miko. She sits and watches attentively no matter what is on and will even sit staring at the set when it is off, almost as if she is waiting for it to come on! She doesn't mind what she watches, everything seems to grip and enthrall her-just thank goodness she hasn't figured out how to work the remote or I am sure that she would watch it all day! I have never seen a dog watch tv like she does, it is so funny.

We had a fantastic weekend, went down to the in laws on sat for fils bday party. Sam was delighted to get to play with his cousins and the sun actually came out so we were all able to sit and enjoy the garden. On sunday Matt and his dad went to watch England vs. South Africa at Lords while sam, matt's mom and I wandered around london. First stop was here: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/UK/kensington/index.html, it is the most amazing grocery store ever (harrods food hall doesn't count as a grocery store). I have been to whole foods back home but none were as big as this. The whole top floor was a food oourt complete with sushi bar, oyster bar, Italian restaurant, gelato bar, coffee bar and so on. We had eleveness and lunch up there and both were very yummy and surprisingly good value. The other two floors were devoted to groceries of all varieties as well as several self service food counters. It was foodie heaven but at a cost-you would need a wheelbarrow full of money to do your weekly shopping there-to quote MK-it is whole paycheck!
We also did whistlestop tours of the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. Sam wasn't feeling very well so our visits were quite short. He was boiling hot and just wanted to be out in the fresh air. He did manage to come away with a fluffy baryonyx to add to his collection. It is cuddled next to him as I write this, just hope the dogs don't spot it in the night!

Now that most everyone is back at school we have started to get more serious about lessons again. Came across this site www.funbrain.com which has lots of good math and english games and sam is really enjoying them. The math games are great and they are helping to reinforce the math facts that he should already know but seems to forget on a regular basis! We have also started using www.livemocha.com for french-it seems good so far and while it is not aimed at children the beginner level is easy enough for him to understand. I am also trying to introduce a little creative writing which is proving a difficult task. He is great at using his imagination to make lego creations but can seem to turn it to writing. Each day I give him a doodle and ask him to make a picture out of it and then write a few sentence about the picture. He has managed to make two cars and a plane so far!! Perhaps he is destined to become an engineer or a graphic designer.

4 comments:

Elizabeth (My Reading World) said...

I'm on your live feed a zillion times today, makes me feel like a stalker! I've been trying to add blog links to my blog, and you were the guinea pig--think I managed it, finally!

I love when dogs watch the TV!

sam said...

that is exciting, I have never been a link on anyone's blog!! Will have to go and have a look and figure out if I can do the same in reverse.

Elizabeth (My Reading World) said...

Took me forever! You have to go to the template in the dashboard sidebar and add them through there. I still can't figure out how it lets you know if someone has blogged--something to do with some 'feed' thingy. Do you like my computer lingo? I feel like I'm so far behind the world when it comes to computer knowledge.

sam said...

sounds like you know more than I do!! am off to go check out the templates.