Monday, September 18, 2006

Too much of a good thing..

I should be grateful that sam is starting to embrace reading, that he feels confident to try his hand at reading most anything and when he does try he is usually right. I am not that happy however, because he has discovered that he can read-on his own-two children's joke books that we have recently acquired. I thought that I would read a couple of jokes a week to him and that would be that.. Oh no!! He spent all of yesterday following me reading out joke after joke, I wouldn't have minded so much but they jokes were truely unfunny. I am happy that it least it did not contain knock knock jokes as after reading a few real ones he goes on to make up his own and then insists on telling it over and over again! It wouldn't be so bad if he would vary the punch line but he doesn't. All joking aside I am a very proud mommy that he can read his own joke books, even if the jokes aren't that funny and some of them don't make sense. He is gaining in confidence everyday and I am sure that it won't be long until he is on to books with funnier jokes. He loves telling the jokes and M and I make sure that we laugh at every single one. I feel like we have crossed our first major hurdle. My next major one is to get him to love numbers and math. It is such an important part of everyday life and I don't want him to grow up numberphobic.

We had a fairly laid back weekend and didn't really do anything of note. We spent most of yesterday out in the backyard as the weather was so nice. We played lots of games and then went on to junk modeling to build a race course for sam's hotwheels. I even managed to sit and read for a while. I just finished Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky and it was fantastic. I can not recommend it highly enough. It is about life in occupied france and what makes it more captivating is that it was written without the benefit of hindsight. The author lived through the first part of the occupation and had great plans for a novel on the scale of war and peace but unfortuantely was sent to the camps and died there. It is about people getting on with life despite what was going on around them and the author had the chance to finish the book I am sure that it would have been even more unputdownable.

4 comments:

sam said...

off to the library this morning! wish I hadn't sold that usborne joke book from my kit.

Anonymous said...

If my memory serves me correctly I think that you went through the knock-knock joke phase and we survived, so will you, go with the flow. You are doing a great job!!!!

Classroomfree said...

The jokes made me smile...we've had that phase here too.

sam said...

thank you!!! remember, if out xmas shopping and you decided to go with a joke book, make sure that they are funny