Tuesday, July 05, 2005

What a bad HE mom I am...

we did absolutely nothing vaguely educational to celebrate the 4th of July. We had a brief conversation about it being America's birthday and how it used to belong to England. Sam's only response was to ask if we were going to buy it a birthday present!! If only I could, there are so many things the country needs, unfortunately none of them are available at the mall. We didn't even make flags, or read any of the patriotic children's books that we have. I hope they don't take away my passport next time I go home. This is going to sound silly but it didn't really register that it was the 4th yesterday until mid way through the day. I shall have to put together a project for us to do on the founding fathers to attone for my lack of patriotism. We did have key lime pie for dessert so the day wasn't a complete failure.

We are slowly getting back into our daily routine of normals (thank you for that word merry!) in the morning and friends and going out in the afternoon. I am going to use the next few weeks to plan out what I want us to achieve in the fall and start to gather stuff for the projects sam wants to do. Following the sonlight-K program even loosely is going to keep us pretty busy but I don't want to loose sight of the fact that this is supposed to be a fun and exciting adventure for sam. We talked a little about what sort of projects he would like to do and he said that he would like to learn more about the ancient greeks (he is really into greek mythology) and also how things (like cars and computers) are made and work. I can see lots of trips to london (the BM and the Science Musuem) in the coming months. I have decided to cut back on the headsprout a little, instead of playing it everyday, we will do it every other or every couple of days. He does enjoy it still but I think he is beginning to suffer a bit with over exposure. It will give us time to practice what he has learned and to pull in other sources of reading material.

Kessingland really enthused us about camping-so we are off to the peak district this weekend with the tent. I just hope it stays dry. M wants to do lots of long hikes, and has promised to do a cooked bfast each morning so it should be fun. Sam is excited about hiking and really wants to learn to use a compass. (We have bought him one as a surprise). We haven't been up to the peak district since I was pregnant so it will be interesting to see if it has changed at all in the last 5 years.

Off on a girly night out tomorrow to Tolthorpe to see the Merry Wives of Windsor. Provided it stays dry it should be lots of fun. I must to find a synopsis of the story because I can't for the life of me remember it.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Ooh - how was the Merry Wives? Saw that at Stratford a few years ago and it was funny! :)