Sunday, July 24, 2005

Rain, rain go away

sam and I want to play. It has been a horrible wet afternoon here. we were supposed to meet friends at the model railway at thorpe hall but play was halted due to rain!!!!! It is finally dry here, now it is too late to play. On the upside at least I won't have to water tonight.
A quiet weekend on the whole. Spring cleaning ( I know it is midsummer but I am always late for everything!), movies, playing and a trip out to ely musuem. We had booked into the dino dig as part of national archaeology week ( I know dinos are nothing to do with archaeology but I couldn't get sam excited by the saxon cemetery so ely it was). It was billed as a short talk by a paleontologist with some hands on stuff afterwords. It turned out to be an hour long lecture with slides and a bit of role playing but no hands on stuff. We were both disapointed, especially sam. The lecturer was nice but kept making the children raise their hands to answer his questions. Not only do 4.5 year olds not understand this but this goes doubly for home educated ones. The poor little guy was so sad when he wasn't called on, especially as he knew all the answers. If I need any, this just provided confirmation that we have made the right choice as far as homeeding. I would hate to see his love of learning squashed because he didn't get called on often enough by his teachers.

We had a nice week as I recall. We met marie and her children up at hill farm for some berry picking. I think we all had fun,particularly as we all had an ice cream!! I don't think there will be too many more berry picking trips this summer, the strawberries and raspberries look like they are coming to an end.

Wednesday was bliss as I finally treated myself to the massage and facial that m's parents gave me for xmas. I am completely hooked, I felt so fantastic afterwords I could have floated all the way home. I know what I will be asking m for for xmas!!

Friday was a milestone for us.. it was sam's last offical session at happy faces. We have been going to happy faces since he was 10 months old. Claire ( she runs HF) has been such a part of our lives for the last 4 years it will seem funny not to be seeing her on a weekly basis anymore. Sam wasn't as sad as I was, I don't think he really understands that after the summer break we won't be going back. We will still see Claire from time to time as she sells my usborne books but we won't be going to any sessions.
Friday afternoon I attempted to step into Merry's shoes and run our local mudpud group. We had a very loose theme of things that fly and each of the families brought something to do along those lines. We brought parachutes to make, M brough birds, H brought butterflies to decorate, J brought flying bugs and D and E brought moths and hummingbirds to make. I also brough our ELC version of twister which uses the contients instead of colored dots and the children had fun tying themselves in knots!! I hope everyone had fun and got something out of the session.

Not sure what this week holds. We may be brave an venture to london to visit the RHS library. As part of our chelsea flower show project we have to research past gardens and no library around here stocks the past programmes. Ordinarily I wouldn't think twice about going to london but in light of everything that has been going on I must confess to being slightly nervous. I know I shouldn't be but I can't help it. If I can find another way of getting the info I will. The past two years of shows are on line but nothing further back than that.

No comments: