Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Fore!

The golf session went well today-there were probably about 15 children between 5-7 and sam fit right in. He was a little shy at first but once he had been there a little while he blossomed. I sat in the car and read so that I was there if he needed me but not involved so that he could enjoy the experience on his own. He came back buzzing with excitement saying how much fun he had had even though his team had not won. They split the children into two teams and had them play various hitting and relay games with child size clubs and balls. Hopefully this means he will be just as ease tomorrow at badminton. I may be evil mommy and once he is settled in sneak off for a run.

After golf we came home for lunch then headed out for Ashby de la Zouch castle. It is only about half an hour away and it was our first trip. Sam had a ball exploring the ruins and running back and forth down the secret passage way. He asked lots of interesting questions, and is taken with my sad past time of spot the ancient graffitti. he was scouring the walls for the writings of the tourists of yore. We were excited to find one dated as early as 1703, only about 60 years after the castle was destroyed in the civil war. I know it is a sad hobby but I got hooked on it when visiting ancient monuments in the med and egypt.

English Heritage ( who run the site) are currently undertaking a small archaeological excavation to understand the gardens better. Sam was excited to see real archaeologist at work (what am I, chopped liver-he has seen me dig in the garden) and I had to explain everything they were doing. He was very disapointed that they wouldn't let him help-he was keen to get out there with his trowel or better yet pickaxe. The finds weren't very spectacular but then you wouldn't expect much in the garden area. In anycase they weren't looking for finds but rather to understand the layout of the now vanished gardens better. I must look to see if there is a local fieldwork group that allows children to participate. I don't think that he can join the young archaeologist club until he is a bit older.

Another game of monopoly after dinner tonight-he is becoming quite a monopoly fiend. He won tonight and took way too much pleasure in beating me. Tomorrow night victory will be mine!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see now, will it be Pro-Golfer or archaeologist, which is your choice?????

sam said...

pro golfer for sure! Better money and you don't get muddy!