Saturday, March 04, 2006

Sammy the Snake

Okay, I caved. I said that when we get to the new house and we are settled we would look into getting a corn snake. They were so cute today, it was hard to say no. Today was the big day and M and I are still recovering. I would post photos but flikr doesn't want to upload from the mac at the moment so photos to follow. After a somewhat stressful morning of cake decorating and sandwich making we headed over to the village hall for the festivities. My in laws arrived early to help (thank you!!!) and by the time everyone arrived it looked suitably festive. Everyone we invied was able to come and it was lovely for us to be surrounded by our friends. The snake man was fantastic and had brought along a nice assortment of critters for the children to hold. They all seemed to be fascinated and were amazingly attentive throughout the demonstration. Everyone had the opportunity to hold or touch the animal of their choice and needless to say sam loved them all. I was amazed that he agreed to hold the spider but he did. Apart from a few wobblies from Sam (too much sugar and excitement) all the children got on well and I hope they all had a good time.

After the party my in laws and sil and family came back for pizza and we watched the start of the iditarod on line. Sam opened all his gifts and was thrilled with them all. I was proud of how well he shared with his cousins-quite a different boy to the grumpy teenager I had yesterday. After they left sam and M took sam's new telescope outside to do a bit of star gazing. Not sure what they saw but sam had a blast.

Still can't believe my little one is now five. We have had a lot of turmoil and tears this week and I hope that this will soon pass. Not sure how much more my sanity and good temper can take. I just don't recognise him at the moment, he is not my sweet, funny, affectionate little guy; instead he is a sullen, grumpy teenager. Not sure how to help him either, other than loving him and reassuring him that despite the changes going on around us life carries on and things will be as normal as possible. Here's hoping for a better week next week!!!!

1 comment:

sam said...

thank you for the kind words and for stopping him from either squashing someone or gettting squashed. In retrospect a pinata would work better outside with more room for this kids to run. fun bloxs have been a huge hit as have the hamma thank you so much.