Monday, November 14, 2005

New arrivals

With any luck (touches wood very quickly and crosses fingers) we should have 4 new arrivals this week. No I am not having quadruplet-one car and three stick insects will be joining the family. The stick insects were posted today so should be here on wednesday and all being well we pick up the car on saturday. I am not sure which sam is more excited about. He is very pleased that he will be able to pick up and handle the stick insects but says that he can't name them until he seems them-which is fair enough. The cage we ordered for them should also be here this week. Until it arrives they will have to live in a large sweet tub. We have to go in search of privet for them as well. Time to get the tree/shrub book out to see what it looks like. I wouldn't know it if it bit me.

A busy few days. We have started doing the kitchen again so spent all of sunday sanding, cleaning and getting the walls ready and ripping out the old laminate floor. We have hung 2/3 of the lining paper and will try and finish it off in the week. Sam wan't that keen on helping when he realised we weren't painting quite yet. He spent most of sunday making wonderful mechano creations and crashing them into lincoln log houses. I think he should get a job in demolition, he would be a natural.

Some interesting questions this weekend about heaven and angels. First he asked if heaven exsisted and I explained that lots of people believed it did but that no one could prove its exsistence. He pondered that for a while and then asked if I did. I explained that I did because it makes me feel not so sad about my mom's death. I said that if there is no heaven then when she died she was gone for ever but if there is a heaven then she is probably looking down on us and watching over us. He thought a bit more and said that he liked grandma looking down on him, which made me go all misty eyed-not a good thing when you are going round a round about. A little while later he asked about the order of angels and who was in charge and who was at the bottom. I don't know where this came from, I don't remember discussing angels with him. I did the best I couild and suggested that we had best look it up because I couldn't remember much except seraphim, cherubs and archangels.

Lots of math today-he seems to be warming to the subject. He is getting good at adding and subtracting and has even started doing it in his head. With any luck he will be able to balance my check book for me by the time he is 5!

We are more or less carless this week as the jeep shouldn't be driven any more than absolutely necessary. That should give us a chance to get lots done and start thinking about all the xmas things we need to do. He is keen to make gingerbread cookies for the xmas tree. I suspect this is because he wants to eat them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't introduce the stick insects to the cats...they could end up as stick snacks!

Anonymous said...

Careful, other plants, typically yew are cut into shapes etc.

Privet is the small leaved (about 1-2 cm) leaved plant that people plant as hedges typically in their front garden.

Don't they eat Brambles/Blackberry/paspebery leaves as well?