Saturday, August 18, 2007

A week not quite as we planned..

This week was supposed to be a back to back social whirl, seeing friends just about everyday, however things did not go quite as expected. The wiper motor on M's car died this week and it has spent all week at the dealership waiting for the new part. This has rendered us carless so we had to cancel our meet ups. We did manage to see my sil and nephews. We hadn't seen them since easter and it was lovely to catch up. The boys all played really nicely and everyone, including the two grown ups were shattered by the time we left to come home. My nephew B is really looking forward to his upcoming birthday party as he is going to have the same reptile guy that sam had two years ago. Both Sam and B are keen to see if the boa, Clarissa has grown any. At sam's party she was able to fit comfortably across the laps of about 20 children!

C & D came for the day on thursday and while the boys played C gave me another patchwork lesson. I have finished my square now all I have to do is back it and unpick the initial stitches. I have really enjoyed doing it and hope that with C's help I can move on to something bigger and better! The boys got on like a house on fire and spent their time either playing lego or wrestling. We did manage to tear them apart long enough to go to the park where the expended so much energy that I am amazed they were able to walk home. Sam has asked if D can sleep over, he is keen for the two of them to stay up watching magic school bus dvds and wrestling. He seemed surprised when I reminded him that he would need to sleep at some point!

We have started back with school work very slowly, I had hoped that with such a long break sam would be enthusiastic to do some work but alas no. To try generate some enthusiasm I am going to let him help me with the timetable, maybe by scheduling his fav subjects he will be more keen to do those that aren't so much in favor. We have also started morning reading time. He seems reluctant to read at the moment so each morning we are taking 20 min or so to sit and read our books together. He can read in his head or out loud, I don't mind, just as long as he reads. We snuggle up on the bed or on the sofa, usually with the dogs in attendance. So far so good, I just hope it rekindles his love of reading.

We finally got a letter about Beavers ( the boy scout group for younger boys), they have a place for him in the Syston pack and he is very excited. His first meeting is on the the 3rd and he can't wait. It will be a good opportunity for him to meet other boys his age and as he says "to have some time away from the family". I am very keen to get involved and help out if they need me but will be led by sam. He may want to have something that is just his rather than having me hanging around. I hope he enjoys Beavers, I got such a lot out of my girl scounting experience and I am sure he will benefit greatly from being involved as well.

No comments: